In the year 1916, Dr. Karve established SNDT University with a vision to establish an educational institution where girls could blossom into confident, self-reliant, responsible individuals, who could later be a source of strength to their families and community-“ Sannskrita Stri Parashakti” ( “An Enlightened Woman” is a source of infinite strength).
After the University closed its Hindi medium division in the year 1957-58, many students found difficult to continue education after Matric. It was at this juncture that Marwari Sammelan, which always had been in the forefront of propagating and promulgating Hindi, came forward to establish this Hindi medium college.
In 1958, the College started pre-university and first year classes on experimental basis. Impressed by the proficiency and dedication of the Sammelan, Smt. Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women’s University granted affiliation to pre-university classes in 1960.
Thereafter, F.Y.B.A and S.Y.B.A classes were affiliated in the year 1961 & 62 respectively.
In the year 1963 College received a generous donation of Rs 75,000 from Smt. Bhagirathibai Manmal Ruia Trust. As a reciprocating gesture to this goodwill the college was named after the founder of the trust as ‘Smt. Bhagirathibai Manmal Ruia College’. For almost 10 years this college operated from Vidya Bhawan, Sitaram Poddar Marg, Mumbai.
With the growing popularity the strength of students also multiplied. The limited space available at Vidya Bhawan was now restricting the sky high aspirations of the faculty and students.
In the year 1968 the College was shifted to the present location, Krishna Kunj, Vachha Gandhi Road, Mumbai-7 and the small building of the College soon grew 5 storeys tall. To cater to the diverse academic needs of the students, the College started Higher Secondary classes for Arts and Commerce, ie. Junior Classes along with the Degree Courses.
As an appreciation for the high standard of education and all-round development of the students, the SNDT University granted permanent affiliation to the College in June 1979.
The college further introduced number of vocational courses in Commerce with the financial support of U.G.C. in June 1998. In addition, the College now has many self financed Courses (both Hindi and English medium) to prepare the students to confront the continuously changing challenges of present dynamic environment.
2010 Bachleor of management Studies course was started at Smt B M Ruia Mahila Mahavidyalaya
2012 Sitaram Deora Institute of Management studies was started which offered B.C.A course
2012 Postgraduate programmes were initiated at Smt B M Ruia Mahila Mahavidyalaya which offerd M.A. in Economics & M.Com. in Commerce & specialization in Accounts
2013 B.M.M was started at Sitaram Deora Institute of Management Studies